Pastel de tres leches

Cocido Cabo Breton








A Cocido is sort of the Spanish equivalent of a Nova Scotia Boiled Dinner, except it also includes chicken, sausage, and beans. Just as our Boiled Dinner varies from region to region, so does the Cocido in Spain; some use chickpeas, chorizo, and a ham bone, and others white beans, blood pudding, or leek.

I was reminded of the many Cocidos I enjoyed during my year in Spain as I listened to a Notes in Spanish podcast driving to work yesterday morning. After all that talk about food, I was craving Cocido, so I decided I would make one in my slow cooker today - the Cocido Estilo Cabo Breton! 

Notes in Spanish is a series of free audio podcasts. The hosts Ben and Marina, from Madrid, offer authentic conversations at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. You also have the option to purchase accompanying worksheets.

Try one of these Cocido Recipes in Spanish (or use Google Translate). I used fresh bacon, chicken thighs, white beans, cabbage, carrots, string beans, sweet potato, an onion, and chorizo.

Comments