Pastel de tres leches

Sopa de Calabaza

A week ago we returned from a week in Mexico. The palm trees and tropical drinks seem like a dream, especially after waking up to this scene today:

this week
last week

Oh how I miss the slow burn of chiles and the smell of warm corn tortillas, so this morning I set about cooking something Mexican. I remembered that I still had a couple of squash down in the cold room that probably were past their best before date. I had dried half of the crop on the windowsills back in October and put the other half in the freezer (still there). 


I decided to make ...

 Sopa de Calabaza 


Chop and trim a bunch of squash. Scoop out seeds.


Brush with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast in oven at 400F for 1 hour.


Saute onions and garlic. 
Scoop out squash and toss into pot with chicken broth.
Simmer until heated through. 


Puree with wand.
Add one chopped chipotle pepper and some adobe sauce.


Add a dollop of lime-juice-soured-cream and a sprinkle of cilantro to your bowl. 

Comments