Pastel de tres leches

Carrot Nation

I'm seeing orange. My weekend was overwhelmed by carrots.

Saturday 
Mummy and I pulled most of the remaining carrots, parsnips, and beets from the garden. We left a few for Xmas dinner.

Photo: more carrots, parsnips, and beets from the garden today
bags of dirty vegetables
Sunday
I washed, scrubbed, rinsed, chopped, blanched, dried, and froze carrots all afternoon. I gave two bags away to friends. There were still carrots left.

carrots, parsnip, and beets just in from the garden

Monday
I made carrot coconut soup for supper with some of the remaining carrots. There are still a few fresh ones left down in the cold room. I don't want to see another carrot for a very long time.

Photo
pot of coconut carrot soup

In case you have extra carrots too, here is the recipe for the soup:
Carrot Coconut Soup
Chop an onion and sweat it in the soup pot in a dollop of butter
Wash trim and chop a bunch of carrots (1kg) and add to pot
Cover with chicken stock and simmer until carrots are soft
Puree
Add one can of coconut milk and fresh cilantro (salt and pepper too)
Return to simmer
Serve with a squiggle of Sriracha HOT Chili Sauce on top
Photo
the Zen-looking character was purely a coincidence

Comments