Pastel de tres leches

Contemporary Neutral Long-Weekend

About a week ago I set about painting our bedroom and ensuite bathroom. The original colour was kind of like this and it was time for it to go. I wanted something cool (colour-wise) and Daniel said anything other than the hideous pink would suit him just fine.

I went on Pinterest last Friday to look for some ideas, and found this colour that I loved for the room where I spend 1/3 of my life: Wythe Blue (which, incidentally, was "Colour of the Year" for bedrooms). That afternoon, I set off to Home Hardware in St. Peter's to find a similar colour paint and pick up TSP, a brush, roller, and tape.

The house brand of paint at Home Hardware is Beauti-tone, and the closest colour match to Wythe Blue had the very uninspiring name Contemporary Neutral. I had recently self-diagnosed as an introvert (take the quiz for yourself), and I honestly didn't know if I could handle feeling any more boring, but I came home with a can each of Contemporary Neutral primer and paint and went to work. 

I do not recommend starting a paint job like this 2 days before you go back to work full-time. Friday afternoon I emptied the closet, moved out furniture, and washed down all the walls with TSP. Saturday I got up gung ho and administered the tape and primer around doors, windows, radiators, electrical boxes, and moldings. By then it was noon, and time to go to the Point Michaud Surf Classic. Sunday morning I rolled on the first coat of primer; Monday after work/dinner/walking Sammy I started cutting in with the first (and perhaps the only) coat of paint; Tuesday was open-mic night at the MacBouch; I can't remember Wednesday evening - probably binge-watched Mad Men; Thursday night I ran in the River Bourgeois Community Festival 5k Run, Walk, or Crawl; and here it is one week later, and I just finished cutting in around all the tedious bits with the first coat of paint balancing precariously on the top step of the step ladder with paint brush in one hand and glass of Chardonnay in the other. It is Friday of a long weekend after all. 

primer finished!
Tomorrow morning, I will arise early and roll on the paint, and hopefully that will be it. All week I have been sleeping under/pulling clothes out of a great heap on the spare bed to wear to work (after ironing them in the dryer on the dewrinkle setting) and I cannot wait to get things put back together. 

I think I'll sleep outside in my tent tomorrow night since the paint fumes upstairs will probably be intolerable. Solo backyard camping. Introvert. Yup.

Comments