Pastel de tres leches

Modified Muffins

Last summer I transplanted some rhubarb from Mummy's ancient rhubarb patch into my herb-garden-no-more; no-more because the hens constantly ignore the chicken-impaling palisade surrounding the herb-garden-no-more and roll around gleefully in the soil giving themselves dust baths. The only plants tough enough to withstand their shenanigans are chives and rhubarb, so the patch has become a rhubarb&chives/hen-spa.

puny year-one rhubarb
I cut a few of the bigger stalks this morning and made these Rhubarb Muffins with (quite) a few modifications: 
  • I rarely have sour cream around, so I used plain yogurt instead
  • I halved the sugar
  • I used half whole wheat flour and half white
  • I added cinnamon
  • The batter seemed dry (no wonder) so I added a splash of water
The modifications worked; the muffins are tart but moist ... great with a spoonful of strawberry jam.

batch of muffins (minus the one I ate)

Comments