Pastel de tres leches

Basic Training for Grapevines

Spring is on its way, and while the grapevines are still dormant, I have some pruning and training to do out in the vineyard. This is year 2 for the Marechal Foch vines, so it's off to boot camp for them. Since I have no idea how to discipline my unruly vines, I did a little online research. It seems that talking to them nicely just won't cut it; they require restraints, stakes, and snipping ... hardcore. Reminds me of when my grandmother used to look at me and say, "As the twig is bent, so grows the tree".

This guy sounds knowledgeable, so I'll just do what he says.



Looks like I'll need some bamboo stakes, wire, Mummy's pruning shears, and a cool hat for starters.

Here is the vineyard history to date:
entire 2011 crop
Sammy in the Marechal Foch row; deer repellent system in place
2012 crop before the birds ate them all

And tomorrow evening, a little training of my own; Cheryl and I are going to learn how to do The Grapevine on skates at the Emera Oval. Looks easy enough:

Comments