Pastel de tres leches

T-bones. Really.

A couple of weeks ago, while Daniel was away at work, Norman delivered our 135 lbs. of Black Angus beef. It was cut and wrapped, but needed to be labeled and put into freezer bags. I was dreading this possibility and really hoping the beef would arrive after Daniel, but that was not to be. I can recognize ground beef and stew meat, but I can't tell the difference between top sirloin, sirloin, round steak, prime ribs and any other roast. I put most large hunks of meat in the slow-cooker anyway. 

Mis-labeling the meat would have been catastrophic; we would be thawing out mystery-cuts all winter. So, I sent photos of the cuts to Daniel who identified them and then sent me back the correct name of the cut for each label. And when my iPhone battery died and we could no longer communicate, I just made descriptive labels that read, for example, "steak-like, marbled, no bone, multi-directional grain".

they all look the same to me

So on Daniel's first day home from work he pulled out a package labeled "T-bones" from the freezer and indeed they turned out to be T-bones. Really. It was a lovely night for a BBQ.



Comments