Pastel de tres leches

Almond Fudge

Mummy used to make Marjorie Teal's Almond Fudge recipe from an old West Bay Pastoral Charge recipe book every xmas, and it was legendary. The recipe had a long list of ingredients including brown sugar, white sugar, butter, cream, milk, and vanilla and almond extracts. It had to be cooked, stirred, set in a sink of cold water to cool, beaten, poured and cooled again The pot was heavy and the beating was hard. If it wasn't cooked to just the right temperature on the candy thermometer, a gooey mess ensued; ever so slightly too much cooking resulted in go-to-the-dentist-tooth-breaking squares. But when it turned out right, it was the best fudge ever. My piano teacher, the mail driver, neighbours, aunts and uncles all received a can for xmas and loved it. 

Recently I found a microwave fudge recipe that is much easier to make and, with a couple of alterations, tastes almost as good. Mummy and I test-drove the recipe last year to critical acclaim. Tonight I made my first batch of this season (which I promised to my students tomorrow) and before long Mummy and I will get together for a Fudge-making Day for all the people on her Fudge List. Maybe you're on it. 

not-so-secret ingredients
cooked
beating

cooling out in the BBQ
test piece; it passed
The recipe is at the Eagle Brand website: Brown Sugar Fudge. Follow the instructions exactly except cook  for 12 minutes (instead of 10), and just before beating add 1 tsp almond extract and a tiny pinch of salt. 

Comments