Pastel de tres leches

Hallowe'ek

Hallowe'en is one of my favourite pagan holidays; since it fell on a Wednesday this year it lasted a full week starting with the Haunted Garden last Saturday night, trick-or-treaters mid-week, our Day of the Dead Poker Party this Friday night, followed by our friend's 40th Birthday/Masquerade Party on Saturday. This was a chance for Havin a Time before we change back to Standard Time until the spring. Ironically, the weekend was warm and mostly sunny in the wake of Hurricane Sandy - a welcome dose of vitamin D before we are plunged into the depths of dark despair that are November - January at 45°38'11"N.

No frozen pizza this Friday: Daniel "Captain of the Gravy Boat" is home from sea and Cheryl, Brian, and Cindy were visiting for the weekend.


Highlight (mine) at the Day of the Dead Poker Party was my first ever Royal Flush which did me absolutely no good at the end of the night when all was said and done.

Royal Flush 'o' Spades
Annick et Dukey


Saturday was all about relaxation, rotisserie chicken, and a round-up of costumes for the evening Masquerade/40th Birthday party.

B-Dawg the Kappuccino King


Southern Preacher
Poseidon and Crack-head Barbie 
Southern Preacher and Pebbles
*Zombie Trucker
*Note: although "Zombie Fisherman" won the B&K What should I be for Hallowe'en poll, I felt a bit creeped-out about putting on my foul weather gear and pretending to be dead. So, Crack-head Barbie convinced me that since this is my blog I can do whatever I want, and if I want to change my mind about my Hallowe'en costume, then I can. And I did. So blame her. 
Geisha & Crack-head Barbie
J-Vamp
the House Band
After all that, and all of our guests went back to the big city, Sammy and I spent some time just hanging on the deck today in the bright November sunshine, reflecting on the weekend that was. One could almost believe that winter will never come ... 

... but it was dark by 5:00 pm.

Comments