Pastel de tres leches

Grilled Halibut / Pickled Beans

Today being Tuesday (already, thanks to a long weekend) the Fish Guy was in St. Peter's. Daniel paid him a visit while I was at work (still in shock), and came home with a huge hunk'o'halibut for dinner. I picked up a little Julio and Ernest Gallo Chardonnay and arrived as the fish was swimming marinating in lemon, basil, chives, garlic and olive oil and preparing to flop onto the grill.

marinated halibut hunk


Check it out! How are we doing? After a couple of weekends of weddings, wine, too much coffee, not enough vegetables, we're trying to restore some balance:

roasted root veggies and beet greens


tomato and cucumber number 
fresh everything
After dinner it was time to deal with some of those beans from Mummy's garden. Once upon a time I had a martini with a pickled bean in it instead of an olive. I liked it. So, I thought I might pickle some beans. Daniel had heard a recipe on CBC Radio's Maritime Noon last week, and friend at work gave me this recipe:

friend's Pickled Beans recipe
Using only ingredients from the greenhouse and garden, I melded the two into the following Pickled Beans hybrid recipe:
  1. wash and trim a bunch'o'beans
  2. jam them into jars
  3. add two cayenne peppers to each jar
  4. chop up a couple of shallots and add to each jar
  5. boil together 2 cups water, 2 cups apple cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup of coarse salt
  6. add solution to jars full of beans and seal with lids
They should be ready for testing in 4 or 5 days ... pass the vermouth.
you are SO full of beans

Comments