Pastel de tres leches

Mu'umu'u by Mummy

I am re-releasing this beach cover-up (or mu'umu'u) that Mummy made for me when I was (as far as Cheryl and I can figure) 11 years old. How can it possibly still fit me? It must have been dragging in the sand back then. Cheryl's version, made the same summer, was tiny and had funny little animals on it. Unfortunately, its coordinates are unknown, but I don't think the print (nor the size) could stand the test of time as mine did. Really, Mummy must have expected me to "grow into it" (not quite sure what to make of that) because she cut this one rather generously:

Janet took my photo!
Anyways ... I thought it was so retro that it just might work again, so I sported it at Point Michaud Beach last Saturday. It's made from incredibly soft, absorbent, now slightly faded but once zany beach-ball-like print in 100% cotton terrycloth that Mummy probably bought at the Port Hawkesbury Woolco back in the day (before Wal-Mart). Proof that she was (and still is, of course) a very progressive thinker is that she sewed a perfect i-Phone sized pocket + button on the front ... in 1978! (zoom in for closer inspection)

The style - boat neck (which looks great off-the-shoulder) and loose-fitting -  is not unlike Homer Simpson's mu'umu'u in the episode where he purposely gained a pile of weight so that he could work from home:

Comments