Pastel de tres leches

Slow-cookinnnnnnnnn...

In the fall of last year we bought a quarter of a cow and half a pig from Norman in West Bay Road. There are still a few pork round steaks down in the freezer, so I'm going to modify this Spanish Braised Pork with Potatoes and Olives recipe and make it in the slow-cooker. Once upon a time I lived in Spain, and this sounds like something I may have eaten once or twice in Alicante.

Here is where I pretend I have my own cooking show, so just indulge me for a moment. Just to let you know, I really am not much of a cook. In fact, Mummy was here watching me do this and she said, "Charlene, you sure didn't learn how to cook like this at home."
I certainly didn't.

So...thank you Daniel!
...for teaching me about carmelization, deglazing, cooking low and slow, and how to hold that really sharp knife so that I might maintain my piano fingers into old age.

On with my Martha Stewart moment...


Step 1:
Dig around in the freezer and find a mysterious frozen red pepper (is it dangerously hot? who knows) in an unlabelled bag with other mysterious frozen peppers. Chop up a fresh green pepper, garlic, and some onions that you find in the fridge; keep yo' mouth shut so the onion doesn't make you cry.

Step 2:
Slap down some of Norman's piggy round roast in a hot pan of olive oil, and brown all around.



Step 3:
Toss that aside, add the chopped up veggies and brown.


Step 4:
Now toss that aside and add a generous splash of whatever red wine your sister left at your house 3 weeks ago. Simmer a couple of minutes and scrape all the carmelly stuff off the bottom of the pan.


Step 4:
Put all the simmered wine, veggies, and meat in the slow-cooker; throw in a can of whole tomatoes (minus the juice), 3 bay leaves, salt, pepper, a handful each of green and black olives, and cover it up. Cook on high for 1 hour, then turn down to low for 6 or so. One hour before it's done, throw in some chopped, peeled potatoes.


Step 5:
Ya!


Writing about this and uploading the photos took a long time! Probably more time than the actual cooking. Food for thought.