Pastel de tres leches

Piri-piri Shrimp on the Barbie

I assumed my usual position after work this evening...

while Daniel made Shrimp on the Barbie! That's right...my guy plays with Barbies.


Barbeques, that is!

You know how smells and flavours conjure up memories and throw you back to other happy times? Well, eons ago when I lived in Tenerife, a red paste called "Mojo del Rey", that I'm sure was made with piri-piris, was often served with potatoes as a tapa. And so, piri-piri anything reminds me of Tenerife ... the Feria de Grendadilla de Abona, possibly being kidnapped by sea gypsies, island-hopping with South African surfers, weekends at Toño's family's finca ... and believe it or not there exists a President's Choice piri-piri marinade called "Souvenirs of Portugal" (which almost makes sense geographically) available at the local Superstore. It is this liquid gold that was slathered on these lucky shrimp tonight on the grill. And to top it all off, on our last hot-sauce seeking mission to Pete's Frootique in Halifax, we picked up a bottle of Nando's Piri-piri hot-sauce to add some extra fire to the already piri-piri soaked grilled shrimp at plate level.



Lest you should think that I just laze in my chaise longue watching Daniel do all the cooking, you should know that I was in charge of the starch component: coconut rice! Rice, chicken stock, creamed coconut, cumin, a squeeze o lime, salt, pepper ... you know the drill.

This photo is fuzzy because I was shaking with anticipation of a splendid meal.


... or perhaps because Daniel discovered a Las Moras chardonnay for sale in box format!!!  A 2010, but as good as the 2008. Sure it's 4 bottles for the price of 3, but the convenient dispenser thingy is top drawer!
fridgy wine dispenser